Sunday, June 6, 2010

Fixed In the Hurt Locker real proper like

Post title links to Garmin data.
I like to see how much I can take. So I went to do 6 Gaps in Vt last year and hurt and failed. "A man's gotta know his limitations." I hit one there: 4 out of 6 climbs ain't too bad for still too fat Dave. I nailed my limit yesterday and am seriously sore today. Guys around here question my sanity for riding my Tomicog fixed 29er on Skyline Drive. I upped the insanity by attempting a ride known as SkyMass on said fixie in 44x18 gearing and had a near perfect ride. The linked Garmin results were from the road bike guy riding with me. I have gotten away from data slavery on the bike and generally like it. We stayed together or I pulled a big gap until the grade was negative. I can't keep up with a geared roadbike on downhills with a fixie geared low enough to climb. But when the road tilted back up, I was a passin the roadie. Good fun.
I did manage to do my TT climb only 1.2 minutes slower than my PR and was holdin back cause I didn't know if the legs would last for the whole ride. It was warm and humid but thankfully it remained overcast all day. No cramping. That was an improvement over last year and pushing a relatively hard gear too. The only failure was my inability to ride the last 1/4 mile of the 4th climb, Massenutten Mountain, which runs around 12% grade. I musta been down to 1 mph and gave up and walked. Next time I do this ride on my road bike it will seem easy.

No comments: