Sunday, May 9, 2010

Back home

We all, my posse(wife and boys), went to Va Beach to visit our moms and I brought the
rigid-fixed El Mar for the purpose of riding what was to me the best place to ride in that corner of Virginia, Freedom Park. They have seriously expanded and improved, hat tip to Kirk of EVMA who showed me the newest loop. It was a little too new and lumpy for a rigid ride but I suffered it anyways. Nice vigorous trail. Amazed at how much climbing they managed to get out of the place. Silly uphill switchbacks that kill your momentum then turn uphill severely for just a few yards but I really had to mash the pedals to keep moving.
Managed to get my oldest bike buddy, Brent, who sold me my 1st mtb and showed me all the trails down that way, managed to get him out to ride after not trail riding for a couple of years.
Ahhhh, my turn to dish out the hurt. He and the crew from work, who called me tubby, used to kill me. They'd wait, resting at the top of the "climbs", and as soon as I huffed up there, they'd be off again. Played cat and mouse. Couldn't keep up on the downhill sections cause he's got like
a fully geared 4-5" of suspension to my 0" and 32mm tires and 32x18 fixed/rigid 29er gear
but what went down assuredly came back up, where I repeated caught his back tire and honked my comical bike horn loudly to proclaim I had reeled 'em in again. Jolly good fun.
Not jolly was the effin traffic I just suffered to get back home in Manassas.
Williamsburg to I-295 was bumper 2 bumper. I bailed out hoping it was an accident. 20 miles later back on I64 b2b again. I295 was fine, then around Kings Dominion it was...B..2..B AGAIN!
Every time I was about to bail out of I95 things opened up and just beyond my bail exit it was...B..2..B!
My 3.5 hour drive turned into 5 freaking hours.
Anyhoo, moms were happy to be recognised and the legs got tenderized.
"No coastin, Mo roastin"

No comments: